Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fasting

But Daniel determined that he would not defile himself by eating the king's food or drinking his wine, so he asked the head of the palace staff to exempt him from the royal diet. The head of the palace staff, by God's grace, liked Daniel, but he warned him, "I'm afraid of what my master the king will do. He is the one who assigned this diet and if he sees that you are not as healthy as the rest, he'll have my head!"
But Daniel appealed to a steward who had been assigned by the head of the palace staff to be in charge of Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: "Try us out for ten days on a simple diet of vegetables and water. Then compare us with the young men who eat from the royal menu. Make your decision on the basis of what you see." 
Daniel 1:8-13

Today is day 7 for me. I have been hesitant to talk about fasting. It's something I am doing to draw closer to God, find descernemet, and detoxify my body and soul. I have been reading about it and studying about it for a long time, but have always put it on a back burner, "I'll start after vacation, after Christmas, after school is done, blah, blah, blah....". 
What better time to start then during Lent. I am giving up sugar for Lent and decided to do this Daniel fast to start off. 

 NO: meats, dairy, leavened bread, refined processed foods, deep-fried foods, solid fats, and non-water beverages. 

YES: vegetables, fruit, whole grains, nuts , seeds, legumes, quality oils, soy foods, water.

YES: Daily focus on Gods' word and the strongholds in my life that need to be released, so I can see clearly what God's plan is for me.

This first week has been challenging. I haven't found it challenging to eat healthy. I typically enjoy eating that way with added goodies (cookies and cakes and bagels). I have found it challenging to stay on track as my body revolts and detoxes. I have been bloated and physically feeling sick for this first week. Night time is the hardest time for me. 
I just want a little cookie or to lick the icing off a cupcake or two or twelve...
Or a chewy gooey rice crispy treat...
Or my famous caramel popcorn...
 
So for today I focus on this:
"The Daisy and The Bee" taken in my backyard two Springs ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment